What Programming Languages Are Most in Demand in 2021 and 2022
At the Last Futurist, we often wonder what computer programing students and the developers of tomorrow should learn to get a job in the real world.
If you’re going to put aside the time and energy needed to learn new programming languages, you want to make sure, without a doubt, that the ones you choose are the most in-demand programming languages on the market.
According to developers in 2020 these are the most wanted software programing languages.
Python continues consistently to hold a top-five spot on Stack Overflow’s most commonly used, loved and wanted lists, it’s clear it should be ahead of Rust.
1. Python – Algos rule the World!
Current trends in programming languages show Python’s relevance for machine learning, data science, and the IoT. It’s not going anywhere anytime soon.
- Simple and plain syntax;
- Wide range of libraries;
- Open-source nature.
- Moderate execution speed;
- Extensive memory consumption;
- Not suitable for mobile development.
What is Python used for?
The latest programming language trends claim Python to be especially effective for such domains:
- Web development;
- Desktop apps development;
- Machine learning;
Python is one of the top programming languages for web development. Contemporary social media sites for example use Python.
Now we turn to one of the new kids on the block, Kotlin.
2. Kotlin – Convenience is Key
Kotlin is the fastest-emerging programming language released in 2016. According to programming languages trends, Kotlin is the preferred language for Android development. And in 2021, this trend is going to grow even more popular.
- Good Java interoperability;
- Fast-pace growth;
- Clear and compact codebase;
- Ease of maintenance.
- Comparatively slow compilation;
- Restricted community resources;
- Kotlin uses a different approach than Java.
What is Kotlin used for?
Kotlin is one of the best new programming languages, and it is well suited for Android software development. The fresh programming languages trends show it can be used successfully in the following areas:
- Building IoT applications;
- iOS application development;
- Web development;
- Data analytics;
- Data science;
- Game development.
- Web development
- Game development
- Mobile apps
- Building web servers
- It is considered the key programming language for building the front-end of websites;
- It reduces demand on servers;
- Interoperability with other programming languages.
- The lack of static typing;
- The lack of client-side security.
- Mobile app development;
- Web games;
- The client-side of web applications;
- The server-side of web apps;
- Desktop apps development.
4. Scala – Go for the $
Another relative new comer to the rankings is Scala. High demand for Scala developers became one of the hottest programming languages trends in recent times. The reason is that developers using such programming languages as Scala, Perl, and Go tend to get the highest salary worldwide.
- Compatibility with Java;
- Functional and concise coding;
- Scala is considered one of thetop web programming languages.
- Scala’s syntax is more complicated if we compare it to Java;
- Limited developer pool;
- Since Scala is a relatively new technology, it can be abandoned at any time.
What is Scala used for?
Programmers can use Scala programming language for multiple purposes. It is suitable for various types of custom business software development projects. They are big data and distributed applications. Platforms that are like databases use scala including LinkedIn, Twitter and Tumblr.
5. Go – An Efficient Way to Go!
A recent Developer Skill Report by HackerRank introduces the latest programming languages trends. Their findings show that Go is the top programming language developers want to learn.
Developed at Google in 2007, Go is a top-tier programming language. What makes Go really shine is its efficiency; it is capable of executing several processes concurrently. Where do we usually find Go?
- System/network programming
- Audio/video editing
- Big Data
- Owing to a small number of complex functions and simple syntax, Go is easy to learn;
- Decent default library;
- Advanced tools for static analysis.
- The small number of packages;
- Insufficient error handling;
- Limited number of frameworks.
What is Go used for?
The latest trends in programming languages suppose using Go for the following products:
- Cloud services;
- Media platforms;
- Google products;
- On-demand services.
If you want a challenge learn Rust. Rust is a modern programming language that focuses on thread-safety and performance. Rust is considered complex and a programming language with a steep learning curve so it’s best to learn once you have mastered a couple of other ones.
The developers behind Rust wanted to create a language that would make system-level programming more secure and concurrency, i.e., the simultaneous execution of several calculations, instructions, or commands.
Rust is a young programming language designed with today’s requirements in mind – a luxury that many other programming languages lack. It was only in October 2020 that AWS invested heavily in Rust. According to the latest reports, Microsoft is also showing great interest in Rust, contributing to further developing the language and using it for its products in the future.
This article is your standard primer on the top coding languages for 2021. Which appeals the most to you?
Also in case you were wonder:
What Programing Languages Does Roblox Use?
Roblox uses Lua and learning the basics of Lua can take anything from a few days to a few weeks, depending on the time you put into it.
What Programming Languages Does Unity Use?
The language that’s used in Unity is called C# (pronounced C-sharp). All the languages that Unity operates with are object-oriented scripting languages.
What Programming Languages Does Apple Use?
What Programming Language Should I Learn Just to Understand Basic Concepts?
If you’re at the very beginning of your coding journey, you’ll want to learn basic markup languages like HTML and CSS just to get your foot in the door.